[Samba] 2 WINS Servers and WINS FORWARDING

freebsd at tango.lu freebsd at tango.lu
Mon Jun 18 07:58:07 UTC 2018

Hello List,

I have a special L2 VPN connected samba deployment setup and I want to
make sure the name resolution arrangement is the best for the network.

Setup : network 1 + Samba1<<SAME IP range>> <L2 VPN> network2 <<SAME IP
range>> + Samba2

I have noticed that the wins server and wins support options are
non-inclusive.

Samba2:
         name resolve order = hosts wins lmhosts bcast
         max wins ttl = 518400
         min wins ttl = 21600
         wins proxy = No
         wins server = 1.2.3.4
         wins support = No
         wins hook =

A samba server can be either a wins client or a wins server. In client
mode it still respond to:

nmblookup -R -U $SERVER <NETBIOS NAME>

but only if it's asked it's own name, not others on the network.

Here is what I would like to accomplish:

   option netbios-name-servers 1.2.3.4;
   option netbios-node-type 2;

On network 1 the dhcp points all the clients to use Samba 1 as WINS and
on network 2 Samba2 as WINS but I also would like to use Samba2 as a
wins slave to get its data from Samba 1 if the connection is OK but if
the VPN breaks up then it should build up it's own list on the remaining
segment and take care of the role until it reestablishes again.