[Samba] Samba Time Synchronisation wikipage

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 12 19:28:02 UTC 2018

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 20:10:21 +0100
Roy Eastwood via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:25 PM Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >

> > I have update the Time Synchronisation Wikipage:
> >
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation
> >
> > It now includes information for the 'chrony' time server.
> >
> > If you spot any errors or omissions, or if you think that something
> > could be said better, please report back ;-)
> >
> > Could I also thank Louis Van Belle for proofreading the page.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> Hi Rowland,
> Many thanks for all your help to Samba Users, much appreciated.   I
> had a look at your new WiKi page and noticed this statement which
> immediately raised questions in my mind:
>
> "By default domain joined Windows clients synchronize their clock via
> NT5DS with the AD-DC which holds the PDC-emulator FSMO role."
>
> I had always thought that Windows domain members used any DC
> providing Time Services, and didn't necessarily contact the DC
> holding the PDC emulator role. The Microsoft article which you cite
> in the para "Default time source" actually confirms this.       Did
> you find another document which says clients always seek out the PDC
> Emulator DC?

To be honest, I do not have a clue, the line you refer to is an
hold-over from the old wikipage. The reason that I don't have a clue is
a fairly reasonable one, I don't have any Windows clients ;-)
I do have Windows in VM's which I start from time to time and they seem
to work okay.

The info I found seems to point towards Windows clients being able to
use any DC as a time server, so lets throw it open. Can anybody provide
proof that Windows must use the PDC emulator DC as the time server ???

> There are also a couple of typo's I've spotted: transfer (not
> tranfer) and "Deciding" doesn't need to be capitalised in the
> Introduction.

The first one is mine, but the second is another hold-over, but I will
fix them.

Thanks for the feedback ;-)

Rowland