[Samba] Samba Time Synchronisation wikipage

Alexei Rozenvaser alexei.roz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 19:44:27 UTC 2018

According to my current experience with my Active Directory domain
which includes a Windows Server 2012R2 DC with PDC Emulator DC and a
newly added Samba DC: part of windows AD clients sync time with PDC
Emulator DC and part with Samba DC that doesn't hold any FSMO role.
I can see windows which clients syncing time with Samba DC when I run
command: "chronyc clients".
And I can see which DC Windows client connected to when I run "net
time" command at Windows AD clients.
So IMHO Roy's considerations are well based.

But I can't figure out how can one receive list of all AD domain
clients by DC they are connected to.
On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 10:11 PM Roy Eastwood via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:25 PM Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >

> > I have update the Time Synchronisation Wikipage:
> >
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation
> >
> > It now includes information for the 'chrony' time server.
> >
> > If you spot any errors or omissions, or if you think that something
> > could be said better, please report back ;-)
> >
> > Could I also thank Louis Van Belle for proofreading the page.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> Hi Rowland,
> Many thanks for all your help to Samba Users, much appreciated.   I had a look
> at your new WiKi page and noticed this statement which immediately raised
> questions in my mind:
>
> "By default domain joined Windows clients synchronize their clock via NT5DS with
> the AD-DC which holds the PDC-emulator FSMO role."
>
> I had always thought that Windows domain members used any DC providing Time
> Services, and didn't necessarily contact the DC holding the PDC emulator role.
> The Microsoft article which you cite in the para "Default time source" actually
> confirms this.       Did you find another document which says clients always
> seek out the PDC Emulator DC?
>
> There are also a couple of typo's I've spotted: transfer (not tranfer) and
> "Deciding" doesn't need to be capitalised in the Introduction.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roy
>

> --

Alexei Rozenvaser