[Samba] Samba Time Synchronisation wikipage

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 19:10:21 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:25 PM Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I have update the Time Synchronisation Wikipage:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation
>
> It now includes information for the 'chrony' time server.
>
> If you spot any errors or omissions, or if you think that something
> could be said better, please report back ;-)
>
> Could I also thank Louis Van Belle for proofreading the page.
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,
Many thanks for all your help to Samba Users, much appreciated.   I had a look
at your new WiKi page and noticed this statement which immediately raised
questions in my mind:

"By default domain joined Windows clients synchronize their clock via NT5DS with
the AD-DC which holds the PDC-emulator FSMO role."

I had always thought that Windows domain members used any DC providing Time
Services, and didn't necessarily contact the DC holding the PDC emulator role.
The Microsoft article which you cite in the para "Default time source" actually
confirms this.       Did you find another document which says clients always
seek out the PDC Emulator DC?

There are also a couple of typo's I've spotted: transfer (not tranfer) and
"Deciding" doesn't need to be capitalised in the Introduction.

Cheers,

Roy