[Samba] Deploy software in fileserver folder

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Thu Jan 11 16:06:25 UTC 2018

Hi Elias,

> I thought it worked, but after I uninstalled the software that I deployed
> via user scope, it did not reinstall. I selected the "Redeploy application"
> option, but it also did not work.

The user scope GPO are run with the privileges and access tokens of the
logged on user, so the user have local admin rights for install and need
access rights to the share you are putting your installation files (read
rights for "domain users" group for example).

The computer scope GPO are run with maximum privileges using LocalSystem
account. LocalSystem has access to machine kerberos credentials, so for
accessing a share on the file server, you'll need to add read rights for
"domain computers" group. You can check that your computer account can
connect to a share by login in as LocalSystem using psexec:
   psexec -i -s cmd
     net use F: \\server\sharename
     dir f:

Any way, you'd be better at using a software deployment solution for
that task (GPO are really not good at that, even Microsoft would advise
you to use ConfigMgr/SCCM). I'm partial on that point as I'm one of the
developers, but I'd advise you to check out WAPT [2].

Cheers,

Denis

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pstools
[2] https://wapt.fr/en