[Samba] Question: Samba and YP-Yellow Pages relation.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 5 19:39:16 UTC 2018

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 15:39:45 -0300
Suporte - KONTROL via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> I am pretty new on this SAMBA list, so greetings!
> I have a technical question about the relation of SAMBA and YP (Yellow
> Pages/ NiS)
>
> I´ve been learning on how to make my Firewall/proxy solution (based on
> FREEBSD/PfSense) to have a trust-relationship with the Microsoft
> AD/Domain so I can have Single Sign-on with NTLM/Kerberos integration.
> PfSense has the YP (Yellow Pages) disabled by default, what makes
> SAMBA fail according to pfSense technical forum people.
> Recently, I found a supposed “patched” version of SAMBA 4.4.16 that
> doesn’t require the YP enabled. Not sure how people did that, or, if
> that is something normal for the version 4.4.16 of Samba. (probably
> not) the point is that Samba 4.4.16 works perfectly.
> If I try to do the same with other newer versions, I got error
> messages like this: /usr/local/lib/samba4/libsmbconf.so.0: Undefined
> symbol "yp_match"
>
> The question is:  Can I also patch the latest SAMBA version the same
> way? What are the side effects in the end and What exactly should I
> change in the Source Code before compiling it? (if possible) – Maybe
> to enable YP back would be better?
> I really want to replace the version 4.4.16 by the latest one
> available for obvious reasons (too old, Insecure at this point).
>
> Thanks in Advance!
>
> Cordially,
> Fabricio.

Hi, around here we call YP NIS ;-)

I am having trouble trying to understand what you are trying to
achieve, do your users need to log into the pfsense machine ?

I think you need to explain in a bit more depth how your
Firewall/proxy works, starting with how you want to run Samba, is it
as a DC, Unix domain member or a standalone server.

Rowland