[Samba] Question: Samba and YP-Yellow Pages relation.

Suporte - KONTROL suporte at kontrolsecurity.com.br
Thu Apr 5 20:01:22 UTC 2018

Hi Rowland,
First of all, thanks Much for the message. Appreciate it!

Here more details...
The users do not log into the pfSense. The Samba is being used to authenticate users with the proxy (squid) in a pfsense environment (Freebsd)
The PfSense box is added to the AD Domain as a "Member" only, so that way the proxy can authenticate against the AD via NTLM/Kerberos.

Here is part of my script to add/leave Domain and also to create a keytab file to use against Kerberos.

#joining a Domain
net ads join createupn=HTTP/hostname001.corp at DOMAIN.CORP -k
echo
#adding SPN HTTP
echo "Adding the SPN HTTP"
net ads keytab add HTTP
echo
#Generating keytab file
net ads keytab create -k

After that the pfsense box is part of the Domain and I have a keytab file to use for Kerberos authentication.

That's how I add the box to a domain.

Now the problem is that it only works when I use that "special" Samba 4.4.16 version.
I would like to use the LATEST SAMBA version available for security reasons.

Thanks Once again!

Fabricio.