[Samba] Question: Samba and YP-Yellow Pages relation.

Suporte - KONTROL suporte at kontrolsecurity.com.br
Thu Apr 5 18:39:45 UTC 2018

Hello Everyone,
I am pretty new on this SAMBA list, so greetings!
I have a technical question about the relation of SAMBA and YP (Yellow
Pages/ NiS)

I´ve been learning on how to make my Firewall/proxy solution (based on
FREEBSD/PfSense) to have a trust-relationship with the Microsoft AD/Domain
so I can have Single Sign-on with NTLM/Kerberos integration.
PfSense has the YP (Yellow Pages) disabled by default, what makes SAMBA fail
according to pfSense technical forum people.
Recently, I found a supposed “patched” version of SAMBA 4.4.16 that doesn’t
require the YP enabled. Not sure how people did that, or, if that is
something normal for the version 4.4.16 of Samba. (probably not) the point
is that Samba 4.4.16 works perfectly.
If I try to do the same with other newer versions, I got error messages like
this: /usr/local/lib/samba4/libsmbconf.so.0: Undefined symbol "yp_match"

The question is:  Can I also patch the latest SAMBA version the same way?
What are the side effects in the end and What exactly should I change in the
Source Code before compiling it? (if possible) – Maybe to enable YP back
would be better?
I really want to replace the version 4.4.16 by the latest one available for
obvious reasons (too old, Insecure at this point).

Thanks in Advance!

Cordially,
Fabricio.