[Samba] Multiple DC haven't HA on Windows

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 27 15:49:34 UTC 2017

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:05:31 +0200
Daniel Carrasco via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello, thanks for your response.
>
> I'm using samba_internal as DNS because I don't want to add bind to
> only relay the internal DNS.

Can you expand on that ?

Your DC should be authoritative for the AD dns domain and your Domain
clients should use the DC for their DNS, anything outside the domain
should be forwarded to a DNS server outside the AD domain. This
should happen whether you use the 'internal' or 'Bind9' dns server.

> The hosts file is clean on srv2 DC (default localhost), and this is
> the srv1 hosts:
> 192.168.0.251    srv1.domain.com srv1

This seems to be wrong, you should have the DCs IP and FQDN
shorthostname in it and '127.0.0.1 localhost'
From what you have posted, your /etc/hosts should be:

DC1:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.251	srv1.domain.com	srv1

DC2:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.254	srv2.domain.com	srv2

> resolv.conf srv1:
> domain domain
> search domain.com
> nameserver 192.168.0.251
> nameserver 8.8.8.8

You should remove the 'domain' line, this is ignored when followed by
the 'search' line
You should replace the second nameserver with the IP of the second DC

> resolv.conf srv2:
> nameserver 192.168.0.254
> nameserver 8.8.8.8

This should be similar to the other DC, just swap the nameserver lines.

Rowland