[Samba] Multiple DC haven't HA on Windows

Daniel Carrasco d.carrasco at i2tic.com
Wed Sep 27 16:18:19 UTC 2017

Thanks Rowland.

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:05:31 +0200
> Daniel Carrasco via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello, thanks for your response.
> >
> > I'm using samba_internal as DNS because I don't want to add bind to
> > only relay the internal DNS.
>
> Can you expand on that ?

If samba_internal can manage the dns names and send the unknown requests to
outside I don't want to add more damons to the server like for example
Bind9, then I'm just using the internal dns alone.

> Your DC should be authoritative for the AD dns domain and your Domain
> clients should use the DC for their DNS, anything outside the domain
> should be forwarded to a DNS server outside the AD domain. This
> should happen whether you use the 'internal' or 'Bind9' dns server.

I'm a bit new on Windows Domains. How I can check if the DC is
authoritative?.
I know that both servers answers to dns requests and both are synchronized
(if I edit a DNS entrie on srv1, srv2 receives the change), and both sends
the outside requests to google dns (dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8).
If I ask the dns entry for the domain name I got both servers addresses
(dig domain.com).

Clients have both servers as DNS servers. SRV2 is the main dns server and
SRV1 is the secondary server. When main DNS server is down then the
secondary starts to work (at least internet works).

> > The hosts file is clean on srv2 DC (default localhost), and this is
> > the srv1 hosts:
> > 192.168.0.251    srv1.domain.com srv1
> >

> This seems to be wrong, you should have the DCs IP and FQDN
> shorthostname in it and '127.0.0.1 localhost'
> From what you have posted, your /etc/hosts should be:
>
> DC1:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.0.251   srv1.domain.com srv1
>
> DC2:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.0.254   srv2.domain.com srv2
>

> > resolv.conf srv1:
> > domain domain
> > search domain.com
> > nameserver 192.168.0.251
> > nameserver 8.8.8.8
> >

> You should remove the 'domain' line, this is ignored when followed by
> the 'search' line
> You should replace the second nameserver with the IP of the second DC
>
> > resolv.conf srv2:
> > nameserver 192.168.0.254
> > nameserver 8.8.8.8
> >

> This should be similar to the other DC, just swap the nameserver lines.
>
> Rowland
>
> --

I take note. I'll make the changes to see how it works.

Thanks again and greetings!!

      Daniel Carrasco Marín
      Ingeniería para la Innovación i2TIC, S.L.
      Tlf:  +34 911 12 32 84 Ext: 223
      www.i2tic.com