[Samba] Change Netbios name during classicupgrade?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Oct 16 16:18:05 UTC 2017

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:37:36 +0200
Sami Chibani via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello Samba list!
>
> Well, my situation is quite the same than this one from a previous
> post:
>
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2017-May/208201.html
>
> I have to make a classicupgrade from a Samba 3 NT server to Samba 4
> AD, and meanwhile the office name changed, so I would try to profit
> of this upgrade to change domain name.
>
> So far from the different tests i've made, i could run the
> classicupgrade process successfully with the old domain name, and
> also could run it successfully when i set the "realm" value of
> smb.conf to the new domain name.
>
> but whenever i try to change the Netbios name ("workgroup" of
> smb.conf)

'workgroup' is not the netbios name, it is the NetBIOS domain name.
The workgroup should also not have a dot in it, 'DOMAIN.LAN' looks
suspiciously like a dns and realm name.

>, I instantly lose all my members. Or, more precisely, the
> script finishes, but no account is imported.
>

> smb.conf before classicupgrade:
>
> [global]
>
>      netbios name = AD
>
>      workgroup = DOMAIN.LAN
>

> smb.conf after classicupgrade:
>
> [global]
>
>      netbios name = SRV-AD

Would 'srv-ad' be the hostname of the computer ?

>      workgroup = DOMAIN.LAN # ==> this one i can't change otherwise
> upgrade doesn't catch up members
>
>      realm = NEWDOMAIN.LAN
>

> I arrived not long ago in this office and didn't set up the old Samba
> 3 server, so there might be some misconfiguration leading to this
> fail, but not sure how to determine the source of the issue.
>
> When i change workgroup, the ouput of a search, whether in pdbedit or
> during classicupgrade is:
>
> #pdbedit -L
>
> sid S-1-5-21-1905493267-1041818301-753029000-19578 does not belong to
> our domain
>
> [...]
>
> but when i search for a specific user, I can list it:
>
> #pdbedit -L user
>
> user:8536:User Name
>
> I presume it's SID related and changing workgroup changed domain SID,
> but don't know how to avoid this.
>
> Samba 3 version: 3.6.12
>
> What else to say?

Lets start with you posting the [global] part of the smb.conf before
you did anything.

>If it can help, I noticed that winbind was not
> installed on the server;
>
> #systemctl status winbind
> winbind.service
>            Loaded: error (Reason: No such file or directory)
>            Active: inactive (dead)

Looks like you have fallen for the 'Debian nolonger installs winbind
when you install samba' feature. You need to install winbind manually.

Rowland