[Samba] Not able to list domain in new samba DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 9 14:35:54 UTC 2017

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 15:17:22 +0100
Sina Owolabi <notify.sina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Rowland!
>
> My current configs are:
>
> DC:
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
>         netbios name = TESTBOX
>         realm = SAMDOM.TESTING.COM
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>         workgroup = SAMDOM
>         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>         log level = 3
>         tls enabled = yes
>         template shell = /bin/bash
>         template homedir = /share/%U

See notes below:

>         vfs objects = acl_xattr
>         map acl inherit = yes
>         store dos attributes = yes
>         winbind enum groups = Yes
>         winbind enum users = Yes
>         idmap config * : backend = tdb
>         idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
>         idmap config SAMDOM:backend = ad
>         idmap config SAMDOM:schema_mode = rfc2307
>         idmap config  SAMDOM : range = 10000-999999
>         idmap config  SAMDOM : unix_nss_info = yes
>         idmap config SAMDOM:unix_primary_group = yes
>         username map = /usr/local/samba/etc/user.map

I think you may have misunderstood me, the 13 lines above should NEVER
be added to the smb.conf on a DC, they belong in a Unix domain
member smb.conf (except for the 'winbind enum' lines and they should
only be used for testing purposes)

> Domain member/file server:

>         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

This line should only be in a DC smb.conf

> I was trying to walk through the creating shares bit and I noticed
> that getent passwd and getent group dont work
> Am I missing something else?

Have you set up libnss_winbind ?

Rowland