[Samba] attributeID is not known in our schema, not fixing replPropertyMetaData

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 26 21:40:41 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-05-26 at 13:32 +0200, Karan Blas via samba wrote:
> I expected that someone had the same problem before.
>
> DBchecker module does not provide fix for this. The implication is
> that the main Samba DC is working fine but does not allow replication
> with other DCs. They report WERR_DS_DRA_INTERNAL_ERROR in samba-tool
> dsr showrepl for two two sections: Configuration and the main one
> that contains the users. Other sections replicate fine.
>
> Promoting new DC also does not work. Data (both new and old) are
> locked in this single DC 4.2.14. Exporting the database and importing
> it in 4.6.3 fix some things but not this one.
>
> We found that replPropertyMetaData is uniquie for each user, setting
> it empty "fix the error' but breaks the user object.

Correct, if you delete replPropertyMetaData in any way, you totally
break replication.

> How to recreate this attribute properly? How to remove all entries
> about attributeId 0XB7D8382? It was inherited from Exchange.

Have you tried to remove the exchange schema from Samba?

As you are probably aware by now, it is not permitted to remove schema,
it will just break the directory.  Additionally, we have had various
bugs around the schema allocation for the ID numbers, and this is
probably where things have gone wrong for you.  This is fixed in 4.5.

If this entry is on a deleted object, you could use samba-tool domain
tombstones expunge to wipe it by choosing a shorter lifetime than 180
days.  That would be the easiest way out of your pickle.

For others, we hope to support the exchange schema soon, via the 2012
schema.

I hope this helps,

Andrew Bartlett