[Samba] attributeID is not known in our schema, not fixing replPropertyMetaData

Karan Blas karan.blas at gmx.com
Sat May 27 01:16:15 UTC 2017

> > We found that replPropertyMetaData is uniquie for each user, setting
> > it empty "fix the error' but breaks the user object.
>
> Correct, if you delete replPropertyMetaData in any way, you totally
> break replication.

dbcheck should wipe that part of replPropertyMetaData with --fix but it is not implemented. If that attribute does non replicate, there should be way to recreate it based on the existing data/attributes of the object?

On the other Samba (with newer version) where --full-sync was not run before disconnecting Win DC, replPropertyMetaData does not contain this attributeID. (We found some tool that decodes the content of the attribute). Does copying (ldbedit) replPropertyMetaData attribute data only, for each object from the healthy Samba over the damaged one will fix it?

OR

samba-tool drs replicate dc-damaged dc-blank DC=DOMAIN,DC=com

should have flags to skip unknown parts, not to exit on first error

> > How to recreate this attribute properly? How to remove all entries
> > about attributeId 0XB7D8382? It was inherited from Exchange.
>
> Have you tried to remove the exchange schema from Samba?

No, is that possible?

> As you are probably aware by now, it is not permitted to remove schema,
> it will just break the directory.  Additionally, we have had various
> bugs around the schema allocation for the ID numbers, and this is
> probably where things have gone wrong for you.  This is fixed in 4.5.
>
> If this entry is on a deleted object, you could use samba-tool domain
> tombstones expunge to wipe it by choosing a shorter lifetime than 180
> days.  That would be the easiest way out of your pickle.
>

> For others, we hope to support the exchange schema soon, via the 2012
> schema.

Nice. In this case we do not need Exchange anymore. There should be wiki for migrating when Exchange already exists. All I can find is that Exchange schema is magical and not supported in Samba.

THANKS! Keep up the good work.