[Samba] samba on ZFS

Andrew Walker walker.aj325 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 15:42:51 UTC 2017

FreeNAS 9.10.2-STABLE has Samba 4.5.5. By default "zfsacl" is enabled on
all samba shares. Additionally the zfs "aclmode" property is set to
"restricted" on all samba shares (except I believe the sysvol share). I
believe on the sysvol dataset / share, the aclmode is set to "passthrough"
and "zfsacl" is not enabled. I do not use freenas as and ADDC and so can't
comment about specific configuration changes that are made in that regard,
but I am happy to speculate that they probably handle ACLs on the sysvol
share via acl_xattr while the underlying filesystem happily pretends it's a
normal Unix FS. Jordan Hubbard recently wrote a decent summary of the
choices FreeNAS made with respect to handling ACLs here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/update-on-smb-permissions-docker-containers-zfs-a-brief-history-of-posix-perms-etc.51272/

The source for the FreeNAS 9.10l.2 script that generates its smb.conf file
is here:
https://github.com/freenas/freenas/blob/9.10.2-STABLE/src/freenas/usr/local/libexec/nas/generate_smb4_conf.py

I do vaguely recall some problems people had when they tried to place the
sysvol share on a dataset with the aclmode set to "restricted"... well, not
the exact problems, but rather a general wailing and gnashing of teeth.