[Samba] DNS and DC replication clarification

Mircea Husz mirceahusz at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 16:30:48 UTC 2017

All,

I configured two DCs (Samba version 4.5.5) replicating ad.corp.com in two sites (

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Sites)

Following 'DNS configuration on Domain Controllers' section from this wiki
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory

If I configure nameserver DC1 to be the first resolver for DC2,
samba_dnsupdate --verbose --all-names fails with '
tkey query failed: GSSAPI error: Major = Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information, Minor = Server not found in Kerberos database.'

The failure makes sense because each DC has keys only for itself in dns.keytab, as shown by
'klist -k /usr/local/samba/private/dns.keytab'. It makes no sense functionally for one DC to update another's DNS directly.

Seems to me the failure from 'samba_dnsupdate --verbose --all-names' can be ignored when another DC's nameserver is listed first. Unless I'm missing something ?

-Mike