[Samba] samba on ZFS

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Mar 11 08:50:36 UTC 2017

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 08:18:26 +0100
"Niels Dettenbach \(Syndicat IT & Internet\) via samba"
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 11. März 2017 00:04:13 MEZ schrieb Andrew Walker via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org>:
> >I don't believe that ZFS on FreeBSD supports acltype=posixacl and
> >sa-based
>
> If you want to see a working samba / zfs / FreeBSD AD / PDC
> "ecosystem" i recommend just trying and exploring the open FreeBSD
> based "FreeNAS" which offers / allows exactly this.
>
> We run several Samba 4 with ACL / AD (managed by MS RSAT) on FreeNAS,
> which anything held on ZFS (except a read only boot partition on
> USB / flash usually. FreeNAS uses some kind of ntfsv4 acls on ZFS
> which have "similiar" features, but a bit other semantics, to
> "emulate" acls for samba - works well.

From what I can see, Freenas is using Samba 4.3.6 and if it is using
ZFS, it is probably also using the ntvfs filesystem instead of 3fs.
This could be a problem with Freenas 10, it uses a later version of
Samba, where by default, ntvfs is turned off.

Samba does not understand ntvfsv4 ACLs, this is where the problem lies,
you cannot provision Samba as an AD DC on ZFS.

Also, there is no such thing as an AD/PDC, a PDC is an NT4-style domain
controller. All AD domain controllers are equal, so there is no such
concept as an AD primary DC. I suppose you could refer to the initial
DC as 'The First Domain Controller I Set UP', but do you really want to
call it a 'TFDCISU' ?? ;-)

Rowland