[Samba] samba on ZFS

Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT & Internet) nd at syndicat.com
Sat Mar 11 07:18:26 UTC 2017

Am 11. März 2017 00:04:13 MEZ schrieb Andrew Walker via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>:
>I don't believe that ZFS on FreeBSD supports acltype=posixacl and
>sa-based

If you want to see a working samba / zfs / FreeBSD AD / PDC "ecosystem" i recommend just trying and exploring the open FreeBSD based "FreeNAS" which offers / allows exactly this.

We run several Samba 4 with ACL / AD (managed by MS RSAT) on FreeNAS, which anything held on ZFS (except a read only boot partition on USB / flash usually. FreeNAS uses some kind of ntfsv4 acls on ZFS which have "similiar" features, but a bit other semantics, to "emulate" acls for samba - works well.

The current FreeNAS does not providing setting up a AD/PDC by the web GUI (but is planned) afaik, but there are some howtos which decsribe the steps by hand.

Possibly this helps in understanding the concept regarding usage in your own FreeBSD installation.

hth a bit,

Niels.
--
Niels Dettenbach