[Samba] Standalone Samba in a Win2008 DC environment, transition to samba

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Mar 10 18:05:32 UTC 2017

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 11:41:23 -0600
Lin Pro via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
> It is unclear to me what group membership should \\server\users  (or
> /srv/samba/users) get if it is planned to be ina  standalone role...
> and using only POSIX ACLs. The relevant wiki instructions are stating:
>
> "Create the directory and set the correct permissions:
>
> # mkdir -p /srv/samba/users/
> # chgrp -R "Domain Users" /srv/samba/users/
>
> # chmod 2750 /srv/samba/users/"
>
> But there is a hidden assuption in the above that it is AD DC -
> "Domain Users". Or may be I should just create a linux group by that
> name or any other name and add all the future users to that group? In
> the back of my head I may consider converting this standalone srv into
> a Domain Member. Do you have an advice what to do in this case?
>
> Besides:
> groupadd "Domain Users" produces a warning - not a valid group name

It would, the hint is in the group name, a standalone computer is not
part of a Domain.

What you seem to be setting up is a 'WORKGROUP' and, if you have more
than about a dozen computers, you really do not want to do this. Your
users and groups will need to exist on EVERY computer, your users will
need to have the same password on every computer and if a user changes
a password, it will need to be changed on every computer.

Rowland