[Samba] Standalone Samba in a Win2008 DC environment, transition to samba

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Fri Mar 10 18:49:03 UTC 2017

Am 10.03.2017 um 18:41 schrieb Lin Pro via samba:
> It is unclear to me what group membership should \\server\users  (or
> /srv/samba/users) get if it is planned to be ina  standalone role...
> and using only POSIX ACLs. The relevant wiki instructions are stating:
>
> "Create the directory and set the correct permissions:
>
> # mkdir -p /srv/samba/users/
> # chgrp -R "Domain Users" /srv/samba/users/
>
> # chmod 2750 /srv/samba/users/"

I added some sentences to be clear about this:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders#Using_POSIX_ACLs

> Besides:
> groupadd "Domain Users" produces a warning - not a valid group name

The groupadd does not support spaces in the group name. Use underscores.

Anyway, in a non-domain environment, naming a group "Domain Users" seems
to guarantee confusion some day. :-)

Regards,
Marc