[Samba] samba 4.4.14 breaks classic domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 21 08:52:25 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-06-20 at 17:23 -0400, Gaiseric Vandal via samba wrote:
> I have several Samba 4.4.x servers (Solaris 11 x86_x64) in a samba
> classic domain.    Samba patches are provided via the Oracle solaris
> package update system.
>

> The two domain controllers are running Samba 4.4.8.
>

> A few weeks ago I ran the latest package  updates on a non-critical
> server, which brought it up to 4.4.13.      All was OK as far as I could
> tell.  This weekend I updated packages and brought the server up to 4.1.14.
>
> This appears to have broken compatibility with the domain.
>
>     root at memberserver1:~# net rpc testjoin
>     Join to domain 'MYDOMAIN' is not valid:
>     NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED
>     root at memberserver1:~#
>

>     root at memberserver1:~# net rpc join -U Administrator -S PDCServerName
>     Enter Administrator's password:
>     Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain
>     'MYDOMAIN' over rpc: The transport connection is now disconnected.
>     root at memberserver1:~#
>

>     root at memberserver1:~# net rpc join -U Administrator -S PDCServerIP
>     Enter Administrator's password:
>     Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain
>     'MYDOMAIN' over rpc: The transport connection is now disconnected.
>     root at memberserver1:~#
>

> "nslookup PDCServer" and "ping PDCServer" both work fine.
>

> I suspect 4.4.14 was not tested in a classic domain and that I may be
> out of luck.

I would first suggest running a more recently supported version, but I
suggest that you read the logs and see where it stops.  Turn up the log
level if need be.

Samba is tested as a classic DC in our autobuild system, so this isn't
just globally broken for everyone, it will be something OS or site-
specific.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett