[Samba] samba 4.4.14 breaks classic domain

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 15:55:47 UTC 2017

I increased the logging to 10 on the problem member server.  Didn't see
anything of interest.

I did a packet capture on the PDC while typing " net rpc testjoin" from
both the problem member server (4.4.14) and a working member server
(4.4.13)

e.g

        SMB:  ----- SMB Header -----
        SMB:
        SMB:  CLIENT REQUEST
        SMB:  Command code = 0x72
        SMB:  Command name =  SMBnegprot
        SMB:
        SMB:  SMB Status:
        SMB:     - Error class = No error
        SMB:     - Error code = No error
        SMB:
        SMB:  Header:
        SMB:     - Tree ID      (TID) = 0x0000
        SMB:     - Process ID   (PID) = 0xfffe
        SMB:     - User ID      (UID) = 0x0000
        SMB:     - Multiplex ID (MID) = 0x0000
        SMB:     - Flags summary = 0x18
        SMB:     - Flags2 summary = 0xc843
        SMB:
        SMB:  ByteCount = 49
        SMB:  Dialect String = NT LANMAN 1.0
        SMB:  Dialect String = NT LM 0.12
        SMB:  Dialect String = SMB 2.002
        SMB:  Dialect String = SMB 2.???
        SMB:

On the working member server, the packet capture included a lot of "SMB"
traffic.  With the problem server,  all the "SMB" packets were empty.

e.g.

        SMB:  ----- SMB:   -----
        SMB:
        SMB:  ""
        SMB:

Both machines are configured for a max protocol of SMB2.  The problem
machine is also configured for a  min protocol of SMB2.

testparm -v

         client ipc max protocol = default
         client max protocol = SMB2
         server max protocol = SMB2

        client ipc min protocol = SMB2
         client min protocol = SMB2
         server min protocol = SMB2

On the PDC, the log file for IP_ADDRESS_OF_PROBLEM_SERVER shows

         Non-SMB packet of length 182. Terminating server