[Samba] Samba 3 to 4

Guido Lorenzutti guido at lorenzutti.com.ar
Fri Dec 8 21:20:14 UTC 2017

Im on the same page, but with openldap on the backend.

If I can
help you out, maybe we can help each other.

I have a brief to-do-list
and Im still testing.

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 14:32:50 +1000, Rob Thomas
via samba wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Sorry I inadvertently sent the
email before completing

> We have a samba 3.5 environment based on
Ubuntu Server. We are looking at
> migrating to Samba 4 AD and
incorporate Windows Server. From my limited
> research and test I've
come up with the following list to do. Can you
> please advise if it is
ok.

> We are looking to run up a VM in an isolated environment with
the configs
> from the Production samba server
>
> Setup;
>
> - Run up
a new Samba 4 Stable (4.7.3 , I think) VM on Ubuntu 17.10
> - Install
all the prereqs as per the Samba Wiki

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Package_Dependencies_ [1]

Required_to_Build_Samba
> - Download and configure the 4.7.3 package
> -
Install Bind9, Winbind
> - Disable Firewall?
>
> Copy:
>
> - Copy
/etc/passwd , groups , /samba/smb.conf to the new server
> - Copy
/lib/samba and /samba/private to the new server (the tdb files, out

backend is tdbsam)
> - Copy bind 9 files to the new location

Cleanup:
> - Cleanup the SID/RIDs as per the Samba 3 to 4 migration

Migration:
> - Copy the tdbfiles to the dbdir directory
> - Run the
domain classicupgrade (withoug xttars?) with realm name different
the domain name (eg. samdom and samdom.local)
> - Fix any issues
> -
Does this create the SRV files for both Realm and Domain?

> Windows

- Join Server 2008/R2 to the domain , is 2012 still being tested?
> -
Dcpromo?

> Anything else?
>
> Thank you