[Samba] DNS issue with clean install of samba 4.5.12-Debian

Taylor Hammerling thammerling at tcsbasys.com
Fri Dec 8 17:47:25 UTC 2017

I am working on building a test ADDC environment for my business.  I have
performed a clean install of Debian 9.2, after which I performed an install
of samba 4.5.12-Debian.

once samba was installed, I ran 'samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307
--interactive' and answered all the questions with appropriate answers.

everything seemed to install just fine.  When I try to join a windows 7
client to the domain, it fails with a timeout error.

I tested the DNS on the DC by running

host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.test.test
host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.test.test
host -t A dc1.test.test

all which returned appropriate responses.

When I try to run NSLOOKUP from the windows client against the DC, I get a
timeout error.

There are no IPtables running on the DC1, and both DC and the windows
client are on the same subnet with no firewall imbetween them.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

--
*Taylor Hammerling* |  *IT Manager*
2800 Laura Lane | Middleton, WI 53562