[Samba] Segmentation fault in samba_upgradedns - Samba 4.4.5

Cameron Murdoch cam at macaroon.net
Fri Sep 2 10:51:02 UTC 2016

On 2 September 2016 at 09:53, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org
> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 14:12:21 +0100
> Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> Trying to understand why you are getting the segfault, I set up freebsd
> 11.0rc2 in a VM and then installed samba44, I now know where Gentoo
> gets its ideas from :)
>
> After freebsd built everything in the chain of required packages, it
> finally built Samba, I did notice two things, one it built part (or
> perhaps the whole) of Bind 9.8.6 to get nsupdate and it also used Samba
> 4.3.11 for various libraries.
>
> I then tried to provision Samba, big failure, ZFS doesn't seem to like
> ACLs, so if somebody could tell me how to get past this, I would be
> very much obliged.
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,

I also had issues provisioning (well classicupgrade actually) Samba44. I
got segfaults from samba-tool. I did a little bit of debugging, but due to
work time pressures I couldn't submit a bug report at the time. From memory
I think the python code in samba-tool was crashing when accessing code from
security.so, but that might be wrong.

To provision/upgrade the domain I had to install samba43 which worked first
time, however I had to specify --use-ntvfs to classicupgrade. I am unsure
if this has caused any issues, but as domain controllers they seem to work
find, etc.

ZFS only supports nfsv4 ACLs. It seems that Samba can use these just fine,
(see the zfs/acl stuff in my smb.conf from earlier), but samba-tool doesn't
like them. Once provisioned they work really well. I can set them from
FreeBSD using setfacl or from Windows just fine.

I was unable to work on this yesterday as the system is in production,
however I am able to take it offline today to try and figure out what is
going on.

Thanks
Cameron