[Samba] Segmentation fault in samba_upgradedns - Samba 4.4.5

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 2 11:21:05 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 11:51:02 +0100
Cameron Murdoch <cam at macaroon.net> wrote:

> On 2 September 2016 at 09:53, Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org
> > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 14:12:21 +0100
> > Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >

> > Trying to understand why you are getting the segfault, I set up
> > freebsd 11.0rc2 in a VM and then installed samba44, I now know
> > where Gentoo gets its ideas from :)
> >
> > After freebsd built everything in the chain of required packages, it
> > finally built Samba, I did notice two things, one it built part (or
> > perhaps the whole) of Bind 9.8.6 to get nsupdate and it also used
> > Samba 4.3.11 for various libraries.
> >
> > I then tried to provision Samba, big failure, ZFS doesn't seem to
> > like ACLs, so if somebody could tell me how to get past this, I
> > would be very much obliged.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> Hi Rowland,
>
> I also had issues provisioning (well classicupgrade actually)
> Samba44. I got segfaults from samba-tool. I did a little bit of
> debugging, but due to work time pressures I couldn't submit a bug
> report at the time. From memory I think the python code in samba-tool
> was crashing when accessing code from security.so, but that might be
> wrong.

I tried to provision first as I would normally i.e. non-interacively
but this wouldn't even run, so I tried provisioning interactively and
this ran up to the point where it checks if a simple ACL can be set, I
then get this:

ERROR(<class 'samba.provision.ProvisioningError'>): Provision failed - ProvisioningError: Your filesystem or build does not support posix ACLs, which s3fs requires.  Try the mounting the filesystem with the 'acl' option.

> To provision/upgrade the domain I had to install samba43 which worked
> first time, however I had to specify --use-ntvfs to classicupgrade. I
> am unsure if this has caused any issues, but as domain controllers
> they seem to work find, etc.

Well, yes it will work, but ntvfs is deprecated and could be removed,
it also doesn't get much work done on it, hence why I don't/won't use
it.

> ZFS only supports nfsv4 ACLs. It seems that Samba can use these just
> fine, (see the zfs/acl stuff in my smb.conf from earlier), but
> samba-tool doesn't like them. Once provisioned they work really well.
> I can set them from FreeBSD using setfacl or from Windows just fine.

I found this out, I also found you can use something called aclmode to
pass the acls through to the underlying filesystem, just have to get
around the provision error first.

Rowland