[Samba] still nfs mountpoints do no work as samba shares?

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 08:46:54 UTC 2016

On 01/09/16 15:57, Gaiseric Vandal via samba wrote:
> In the past I used samba shares on top of autofs NFS
> shares.         I did not try samba over static NFS mounts
> (file systems mounted by root manually or defined in
> /etc/fstab.) I suspect therefore that you might have a
> permissions issue.
I said: ...seems ok on the clients but only - until a user
want to change content of a file or copy that file..
But I should have been more specific: users can create new
content(dirs, files) and remove stuff.
Problem almost certainly is not "permissions". It seems
something with locking mechanism nfs <=> samba.
On Samba box when a user accesses the content directly in
nfs4 mountpoint this problems do not occur.

> I had several servers running NFS and Samba, so this meant
> that user id's were consistent across all machines for
> both nfs/unix and samba.     The Projects samba share on
> the main server was mounted on a /projects autofs top
> level directory which included sub directories from both
> the main server and other servers.
>

> The better solution (in my opinion) is to install samba on
> your NFS server as  domain member.  On your primary server
> you can create MS DFS short cuts to the other server -  so
> users still can go to the primary server to find files.
> They will be transparently redirected to the other server.

NFS box and Samba box are in separate domains and I don't
know just yet how to make them trust each other. NFS is IPA
and Samba is just own BDC.
What even more peculiar - linux smb client also does not
suffer from this problem. I can in Gnome edit files and do
things that Win 7 refuses to do.