[Samba] still nfs mountpoints do no work as samba shares?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:57:55 UTC 2016

In the past I used samba shares on top of autofs NFS shares.         I
did not try samba over static NFS mounts (file systems mounted by root
manually or defined in /etc/fstab.)       I suspect therefore that you
might have a permissions issue.

I had several servers running NFS and Samba, so this meant that user
id's were consistent across all machines for both nfs/unix and samba.
     The Projects samba share on the main server was mounted on a
/projects autofs top level directory which included sub directories from
both the main server and other servers.

The better solution (in my opinion) is to install samba on your NFS
server as  domain member.  On your primary server you can create MS DFS
short cuts to the other server -  so users still can go to the primary
server to find files.  They will be transparently redirected to the
other server.