[Samba] to know which dns-backend ?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Oct 13 12:51:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 08:35:46 -0400 (CDT)
Felipe_G0NZÁLEZ_SANTIAG0 via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello guys:
> I need to know a strategy to identify which dns-backend are Samba4 DC
> using: BIND9 or Internal? Some time ago someone told me I can check
> this by verifying if exists the user 'dns-hostname'. But, what if
> this user has been deleted? Or, what's the situation if I need to get
> the dns-backend on a replication environment?
>
> On the other hand, How can I know if my server is running Samba4 AD?
> I mean I need to automate this process, so first I've to do is check
> if Samba4 AD is already installed.

Well, if you are running Bind and have deleted 'dns-hostname', you are
going to have problems, but if you check the 'server services' line in
smb.conf, then if it isn't there, you are using the internal DNS
server, or if it is there and has 'dns' in it, you are using the
internal DNS server. If you have the line and it doesn't have 'dns' you
are using Bind, or if the line consists of just '-dns', you are using
Bind.

Rowland