[Samba] 'RPC Server is Unavailable' when updating GPO

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 2 17:29:00 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-02 at 09:38 -0700, gespi via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Researched the forums before posting but was not able to find
> solution to my
> issue. Could be a unique problem.
>
>  GPO's are not being applied to users and computers because 'RPC is
> unavailable'. The GPO's were being applied before, but not sure what
> happened. Started noticing this once I binded a new instance of
> Windows 10
> to the SambaDC and the machine nor user were picking up the GPO's.
> When  I
> run gpupdate /force there is no error given but when right clicking
> on the
> OU and running 'Group Policy Update..', it shows failed and the RPC
> error
> mentioned above. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?
>

> <http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/file/n4710461/Selection_001.png>
> .
>

> Any help would be appreciated.

I think you would have to start looking at a network trace to
understand who is refusing what exactly.

I'm assuming this is something that is trying to trigger a process
directly on the client?

I realise you probably don't want to set up one just to test, but the
question that comes to mind is:  Is it a Samba issue, or does this
happen in a Windows domain also?  Is there any communication with the
DC?

Andrew Bartlett