[Samba] samba4 on centos 7 won't promote to dc

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 26 20:22:39 UTC 2016

On 26/05/16 21:03, Miso Rapajić wrote:
> Hello everyone
>

> I have successfully deployed samba 4.4.2 on Centos7 as PDC.

I take it you mean 'DC' instead of 'PDC'

> I had to use
> BIND9_DLZ because samba_internal was not working.

Why didn't the internal dns work, it should.

>   I have successfully
> joined win7 machine to a domain and with RSAT I can add user, GP etc.. This
> was all possible but with a more than a few tweaks but I have some
> questions. But at this time only one is bugging me crazy.
>
> 1. When I configure the makefile of samba 4.4.2 with the following
> "./configure" , samba won't promote to dc no matter what I enter. I do a
> testparm and server is always ROLE STANDALLONE .
> But when I do "./configure --enable-selftest --enable-debug
> --prefix=/opt/samba/ --sysconfdir=/etc/samba/
> --includedir=/usr/include/samba4/ --bindir=/bin/ --sbindir=/sbin/
> --mandir=/usr/share/man/"   it will promote it no problem. Why is that?
>
> --prefix        : installation directory
> --sysconfdir    : smb.conf should be places
> --includedir    : includes the header files for C compilers
> --bindir        : user executables
> --sbindir       : system admin executables
> --mandir        : man pages to be placed

The './configure' options should have no affect on the 'provision'
command (I take it you mean 'provision' instead of 'promote') , can you
tell us what packages you installed to compile Samba, what you actually
get in the provisioned smb.conf when it doesn't work, finally can you
post the provision command you are using.

Rowland