[Samba] samba4: Separation of DC from the File Server and Roaming Profiles

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Mar 15 17:01:26 UTC 2016

Hello,

Am 15.03.2016 um 15:28 schrieb rawi:
> Trying to fulfill the recommendation to separate the domain controller from
> the file server and needing roaming profiles, I do not understand where I
> have to declare and locate the Profiles and Home shares.
>
> Is it possible to declare the profiles and homes on the DC (smb.conf) and
> point their paths to the member server?
>
> Or I have to define all this in GPOs for each user, pointing there to the
> member server?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_home_drives#Define_the_users_home_folder_in_the_account_settings
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Implementing_roaming_profiles#In_an_AD_environment

It's also possible to do this both via GPO. There are many tutorials on
the internet, how to do.

> I'd try to minimize the need of administering samba4 trough Windows-Tools
> but use smb.conf and samba-tool. Would it be possible?

If you set the attributes in the user objects, you can use ldbedit. To
do it via GPO, you have to use the Windows tools. However it allows you
to define it per domain or container, so you only have to do it once,
until you need to change something.

Regards,
Marc