[Samba] samba4: Separation of DC from the File Server and Roaming Profiles

rawi only4com at web.de
Tue Mar 15 14:28:47 UTC 2016

Hello @ALL

planning to set my first samba4 ad-dc (coming from Samba3 NT-domain).

Trying to fulfill the recommendation to separate the domain controller from
the file server and needing roaming profiles, I do not understand where I
have to declare and locate the Profiles and Home shares.

Is it possible to declare the profiles and homes on the DC (smb.conf) and
point their paths to the member server?

Or I have to define all this in GPOs for each user, pointing there to the
member server?

I'd try to minimize the need of administering samba4 trough Windows-Tools
but use smb.conf and samba-tool. Would it be possible?

Thank you!