[Samba] which DNS backend ?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Feb 28 22:10:53 UTC 2016

On 28/02/16 21:56, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 28.02.2016 um 22:22 schrieb John Gardeniers:
>> Thanks Rowland. Perhaps because I expected these basic issues to have
>> been resolved long ago I never thought to check the SOA records. You are
>> perfectly correct - the second DC is not listed
>
> since when is more than one NS listed in the SOA?
>
> http://rscott.org/dns/soa.html
>
> MNAME ("Primary NS") - This entry is the domain name of the name
> server that was the original source of the data (this entry MUST be
> your primary nameserver). This is your primary nameserver, and MUST be
> the one and only server that you ever update. You must not update the
> secondary server(s) -- they will update automatically, based on this
> the SOA record. Problem? This should be a fully qualified domain name .

OK, I see where you are coming from, but, this is referring to a normal
dns server that replicates to other secondary dns servers. AD dns works
a little differently, all AD dns servers replicate dns records to each
other and each AD DC is supposed to be authoritative for the dns domain,
this does not happen if your first DC goes down when you are using the
internal dns server. As an aside, my first DC shutdown for some reason,
I didn't notice for a couple of hours, until I tried to 'ssh' into it, I
didn't notice because *everything* else just kept working on my second DC.

Rowland