[Samba] which DNS backend ?

John Gardeniers jgardeniers at objectmastery.com
Sun Feb 28 21:22:16 UTC 2016

Thanks Rowland. Perhaps because I expected these basic issues to have
been resolved long ago I never thought to check the SOA records. You are
perfectly correct - the second DC is not listed.

I will say however that other than this, All the DNS issues I
encountered during my early testing phase, and there were a lot of them,
occurred with both internal and BIND DNS. As a consequence, we use Samba
DNS only for the AD domain and external BIND (on the same machine but on
a separate IP address) for everything else. machines point to the Samba
DNS servers, which forward to BIND for non-domain queries. Not an ideal
solution perhaps but one which definitely works, solved every issue we
encountered and is completely transparent to the users.

regards,
John