[Samba] which DNS backend ?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Feb 28 20:40:47 UTC 2016

On 28/02/16 20:25, John Gardeniers wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> Would you care to elaborate on that last sentence? I've not seen that
> mentioned before and I'm very curios about your reasons for saying it,
> especially as we're using internal DNS for our two DCs.
>
> regards,
> John

OK, two main reasons, I have never used the internal dns server and I
have never had any real dns problems, read a lot of posts from people
who have, but they use the internal dns server. The second reason is
that the internal dns server seems to ignore the SOA record for the
second DC (note that you have to add this manually). Bind9 does see both
SOA records and the second DC is authoritative for the domain if the
first DC goes down for any reason, this doesn't happen with the internal
dns server.

Rowland