[Samba] Restoring single DC virtual machine

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Feb 19 10:53:34 UTC 2016

Hai,

I do it like this, and the site :
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_restore_an_Samba_AD_DC
is draft, but works fine, get the samba_backup script,adjust where needed.

Below is tested and in production environment and works fine.

1) full backup of the VM, monthly done of the DC with FSMO roles.
   I do stop the server for this backup, to avoid problems with locked db's.
   or open files. ), and i have 2 dc's so only a small auth delay in the
   network with authentication.
   And i do weekly snapshots, while dc is running, here i dont care about
   openfiles. This is handled by the samba_backup script.

2) incremental backups for /etc  ( daily )
3) separated backup of the samba data. ( with the samba4_backup script )
	( 4 times a day )

Note, i have a very clean server as DC with only samba and bind9 installed.
Backup time is very short, because the full server backup is only 1.2Gb.
Like :
Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                   6.1G  1.2G  4.7G  20% /

Restore options.

! In case of multiple DC's (and i have 2 DC's now, and are increasing to 4)!

Restore options now are in the following situations.
1) DC not working anymore,  ( multiple DC's )
	- on the other DC, get the FSMO roles.
	- remove the old DC from the domain, install a new DC.

2) VM server dead ( and multple DC's are gone )
	- restore full backup of the VM. ( the DC with FSMO roles )
	- restore /etc/
	- stop samba, restore the samba backuped data.
	- start samba
	- install the other dc's again.

3) VM server running, Guest VM dead. ( and only one DC )
	- restore full backup of the VM. ( the DC with FSMO roles )
	- restore /etc/
	- stop samba, restore the samba backuped data.
	- start samba

Greetz,

Louis