[Samba] Restoring single DC virtual machine

yvan.masson at openmailbox.org yvan.masson at openmailbox.org
Fri Feb 19 10:01:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

I plan to install one Samba4 DC on a virtual machine to provide services
for
less than 50 users:
  - centralized authentication on 2 or 3 Linux servers
  - LDAP authentication on an ownCloud server
  - I do not think that I will join Windows computers to the domain, but
maybe
one day.

I know it is better to install more than one DC to have replication, but
in a
so small setup, would it be possible to rely only on VM restoration in
case of
a problem (physical server broken, wrong manipulation on AD LDAP…)?

I have read
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_restore_an_Samba_AD_DC,
but it is still noted as a draft.
I have also read
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d2cae85b-41ac-497f-8cd1-5fbaa6740ff
and it seems that the problems, when restoring a VM backup, comes only
from
replication between DC.

This makes me think that it would be OK, but what do you think ?

Regards,
Yvan