[Samba] AD DC as KVM guest on file server host?

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Thu Dec 29 16:32:11 UTC 2016

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016, Filippe LeMarchand via samba wrote:

> Is kvm I/O realy disadventage? I use samba file server as kvm guest (LVM
> storage pool) in some setups and disn't notice any problems. Sequential
> read/write speed isn't noticeably different from non-virtualized samba
> host. Did I miss something and should expect sudden trouble?

It depends greatly on your setup.  Paravirtualized I/O (/dev/vdX) and raw
volumes (or LVs) will give you nearly native performance.  As long as you
are using paravirtualized I/O you will probably not notice the difference
unless your server is very heavily loaded.  Also, unless you have a lot of
spindles or are using fast SSDs, your disk I/O is more likely to be the
weak point anyway.