[Samba] AD DC as KVM guest on file server host?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Dec 29 16:47:21 UTC 2016

Am 29.12.2016 um 17:01 schrieb Filippe LeMarchand via samba:
> Is kvm I/O realy disadventage? I use samba file server as kvm guest (LVM
> storage pool) in some setups and disn't notice any problems. Sequential
> read/write speed isn't noticeably different from non-virtualized samba
> host. Did I miss something and should expect sudden trouble?

no

with paravirtualized IO there is no real-world difference between a
virtual machine and bare-metal and in reality since you need only *two*
horse power hosts instead a dozen machines you can concentrate your
money in fast disk-spindles on both hosts - at the end you will get for
the same amount of money more performance for everything

* one really fast CPU in both hosts
* a lot fo RAM in both hosts
* a realy fast disk spindle in both hosts

the rest is the job uf the scheduler and it will outperform 10 low-range
machines with middle to slow disks

at this point of time you need really good reasons for not isntall a
hypervsior on your baremetal as first step