[Samba] Homes share doesn't work for AD DCs?

Chris Rees crees at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 22 22:30:30 UTC 2016

Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> Am 22.12.2016 um 22:54 schrieb Chris Rees via samba:
>> However, now when I try to connect to (for example) \\pegasus\crees I
>> get "The network name cannot be found". A new share, "homes" has
>> appeared, but of course it maps to nothing and I get the same error!
>>
>> Does the homes share lose its magic,...
> On a Samba DC, yes. :-)
>
> The Samba dynamically-created per-user home shares feature is not
> working on a Samba AD DC. However, this is not a real limitation. Don't
> call the share [homes], share the folder containing the home directories
> instead, set the correct permissions, and Windows is happy, too. Because
> Windows doesn't know the dynamically-created per-user homes, this way
> additionally prevents you from discovering some problems when using
> folder redirections, etc.
>
> Here's a guide:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_home_drives
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Thanks Marc!

Please would you consider adding a line at the top of that wiki page
saying that it doesn't work?

I found that page, and was hoping I would still be able to have it as a
legacy option.  It's not a problem, but being explicit would be good--
even better would be a mention under [homes] in the smb.conf manpage.

Would you accept such a manpage patch if you'd like me to do it?

Chris

believed to be clean.