[Samba] Homes share doesn't work for AD DCs?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Dec 22 22:18:22 UTC 2016

Hello Chris,

Am 22.12.2016 um 22:54 schrieb Chris Rees via samba:
> However, now when I try to connect to (for example) \\pegasus\crees I
> get "The network name cannot be found". A new share, "homes" has
> appeared, but of course it maps to nothing and I get the same error!
>
> Does the homes share lose its magic,...

On a Samba DC, yes. :-)

The Samba dynamically-created per-user home shares feature is not
working on a Samba AD DC. However, this is not a real limitation. Don't
call the share [homes], share the folder containing the home directories
instead, set the correct permissions, and Windows is happy, too. Because
Windows doesn't know the dynamically-created per-user homes, this way
additionally prevents you from discovering some problems when using
folder redirections, etc.

Here's a guide:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_home_drives

Regards,