[Samba] SMBtorture Documentation

Christof Schmitt cs at samba.org
Fri Dec 9 22:46:03 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 02:15:40AM -0700, Jisha Joy via samba wrote:
> Thank you Bob for the information! :)
>
> regards
> Jisha
>  >>> Bob Campbell via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> 12/7/2016 2:37 AM >>>
> Hi Jisha,
>
> The best documentation about the test suite to my knowledge is:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Writing_Torture_Tests
>
> This has a lot of information about how to run tests, including
> different test options.
>
> If you're interested in exactly what the tests do, two potentially
> useful files are samba/source3/selftest/tests.py and
> samba/source4/selftest/tests.py, which contain a lot of (all?) the names
> of tests to run, and can help you to locate the source of the tests.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>
> On 07/12/16 01:05, Jisha Joy via samba wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can somebody provide a documentation for "SMBTORTURE" test suite available with Samba.
> > I am trying to learn about the individual test options available with smbtorture.
> > Detailed information about each test will be of great help.
> >
> > thanks in advance
> > Jisha

One idea i had was to provide a high-level overview of each test as
doxygen comment. The source code of smbtorture would still be the best
source for all details. This is currently nothing more than an idea and
a few starting patches:
https://git.samba.org/?p=cs/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/wip-smbtorture-doxygen

The advantage of using doxygen would be that the text could be kept in
the source files, and a html overview could be generated from that.

Currently it is unlikely that i will be looking into this anytime soon,
so if someone else wants to continue working on this, feel free.

Christof