[Samba] Samba Wiki change suggestion

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Aug 26 15:59:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 06:08:16 -0500
Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On the "Bidirectional Rsync/Unison based SysVol replication
> workaround" page. The title (as you can see) includes the word UNISON
> when in fact the "Unison" program is NOT being used for this
> replication anymore. As the instructions there actually use "Osync"
> then the word "UNISON" should probably need to be replaced with
> "OSYNC". (I looked rather quickly but, I do not see any Unison
> references in the instructions anywhere.)
>
> The Unison linux "syncing" program does NOT support Windows based
> ACL's and therefore will not replicate the correct file acl
> attributes between DC's. The "Unison" people have given little
> indication that they (the program) intend to support ACL attributes
> in the future. For now, we need to stick with Osync. (Which works
> very well.)
>
> Only a suggestion of improvement. Thank you.

OK, I have done what whoever changed the wiki page should have done, I
have created a new wiki page for the osync way and rolled the original
page back to the unison way of doing things.

I will now edit the osync page to correct a few things that need
changing (broken link, conf variable name changes etc).

I will also discuss the unison page with Louis Van Belle, I believe he
is still using this method and may have some input on what, if anything,
that needs changing.

Rowland