[Samba] Bind on non-DC host (formerly: bind 9.11.b2 with samba 4.4.5)

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 1 15:03:38 UTC 2016

On 01/08/16 14:35, mathias dufresne wrote:
> oki doki. Thank you for precision.
> That kind of limitation should be added to the wiki as I would have already
> tried to move Bind to a non-DC host if I was able to find to to do that.
> And if I thought about that, some have thought about that before me.

If you look here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_BIND_as_backend_for_Samba_AD

Under the heading 'Introduction', is this line:

Since the BIND DLZ module accesses the AD database directly, BIND for AD
zones must be on the same machine.

I thought this was pretty specific, but I will change it slightly to:

Since the BIND DLZ module accesses the AD database directly, Bind9 must
be run on the same machine as the Samba 4 AD DC.

Rowland