[Samba] Ubuntu 14.04 samba update

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:51:13 UTC 2016

When ubuntu 14.04 went from samba 4.1.6 to 4.3.8 it killed my setup. Before
the change I was able to run wbinfo -u and get a list of users. Now when I
run wbinfo -u it returns nothing. I tried dis-joining and rejoining the
domain with no luck,

Here is my complete smb.conf
[global]
security = ads
realm = SUBDOMAIN.DOMAIN.TOP
workgroup = SUBDOMAIN
idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * : range = 2000-7999
idmap config SUBDOMAIN:backend = ad
idmap config SUBDOMAIN:schema_mode = rfc2307
idmap config SUBDOMAIN:range = 8000-9999999
winbind nss info = rfc2307
winbind use default domain = yes

Here is my script to connect to the domain. I call it net_join.sh

echo Enter a Machine Name
read machine
echo $machine > /etc/hostname
hostname `cat /etc/hostname`
echo Enter a Domain Admin Account ex:Administrator
read admin
OSNAME="`lsb_release -a|grep "^Distributor ID:"|cut -d: -f2|awk '{print
$1}'` joined `date "+%F"`"
OSVERSION="`lsb_release -a|grep "^Release:"|cut -d: -f2|awk '{print $1}'`"
net ads join -U $admin osName="${OSNAME}" osVersion="${OSVERSION}"

Here is my script to leave the domain. I call it net_leave.sh

read admin
net ads leave -U $admin

Here is my script to clear the winbind cache with a change from samba to
smb when samba changed. I call it winbind_clear.sh

service winbind stop
service smbd stop
#service samba stop
net cache flush
rm -f /var/lib/samba/*.tdb
rm -f /var/lib/samba/group_mapping.ldb
sleep 1
#service samba start
service smbd start
service winbind start

Can anyone point me to why my setup has stopped working? Or maybe some
steps I can take to learn why it is failing. Do I need to add something for
debugging?
I also tried upgrading to the beta version of Ubuntu 16.04 to see if I
could get it working with it, no luck.