[Samba] password less share not accessible with Win 2012 R2

David Whitney soonerdew at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:59:05 UTC 2016

I *believe* your scenario is consistent with a similar situation that has
been seen with Windows 10 clients. Unique to W10, which shares considerable
DNA with Windows Server 2012, it will not browse/connect to a share that is
not password-protected. This may or may not provide some insight:

https://techjourney.net/cannot-connect-to-cifs-smb-samba-network-shares-shared-folders-in-windows-10/

The recommendation is to put a password on the share, but the article above
also discusses a W10 registry hack that *might* be applicable on W2012 as
well. I have not tested this in any environment, but recalled having read
about it, and thought I would at least call it to your attention as a
possibility. It may or may not be applicable to your problem.