[Samba] kinit: Cannot contact any KDC for realm 'MY.LOCAL.' while getting initial credentials

Lluís Danés lluisdanes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:59:36 UTC 2015

> On 15/09/15 09:40, Lluís Danés wrote:
>
>> Well, I downloaded it manually without using git. I've compiled it with
>> the "--with-acl-support" because I thought it was not included as default
>> (I remember that I read it from the wiki that it was said to build samba by
>> yourself if you want to use windows ACL's).
>>

> Can you remember just where on the wiki it said that ?
> You can use distro packages (well except red-hat packages and only then if
> you want to setup a DC) or the packages from Sernet.

I read this wiki https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_Windows_ACLs
 This line: "To use the advanced features of Samba, it has to be compiled
with ACL support (e. g. RHEL requires the libacl-devel to be installed,
when compiling)." confused me.

> How can I see the default options before run ./configure?
>>

> ./configure --help

> You usually don't have to add anything, unless you need to specify
> something that isn't a default or is different from the default i.e. use a
> different prefix.

>> Otherwise, I've a dot on my realm MY.LOCAL. but it was a mistake when I
>> create this mail. I've the same problem without the dot. This dot was
>> introduced because I've tried it using a dot without success.   So if I've
>>
>> /etc/krb5.conf
>> [libdefaults]
>>         default_realm = MY.LOCAL
>>         dns_lookup_realm = false
>>         dns_lookup_kdc = true
>>

>> and then i run: kinit administrator at MY.LOCAL
>> I get: kinit: Cannot contact any KDC for realm 'MY.LOCAL' while getting
>> initial credentials
>>

> Is your 'TLD' actually '.local' and if so, try stopping avahi

Yes, its my TLD. I will check by stopping avahi.Perhaps .LOCAL is a bad TLD
for samba as I've read right now.

Is Samba running at this stage ? if it isn't, then your KDC isn't either.

 Samba is running. These 2 commands also works:
smbclient -L localhost -U%
smbclient //localhost/netlogon -UAdministrator -c 'ls'

> Rowland
>
> --

Lluís Danés