[Samba] kinit: Cannot contact any KDC for realm 'MY.LOCAL.' while getting initial credentials

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:39:27 UTC 2015

On 15/09/15 09:40, Lluís Danés wrote:
> Well, I downloaded it manually without using git. I've compiled it
> with the "--with-acl-support" because I thought it was not included as
> default (I remember that I read it from the wiki that it was said to
> build samba by yourself if you want to use windows ACL's).

Can you remember just where on the wiki it said that ?
You can use distro packages (well except red-hat packages and only then
if you want to setup a DC) or the packages from Sernet.

> How can I see the default options before run ./configure?

./configure --help

You usually don't have to add anything, unless you need to specify
something that isn't a default or is different from the default i.e. use
a different prefix.

> Otherwise, I've a dot on my realm MY.LOCAL. but it was a mistake when
> I create this mail. I've the same problem without the dot. This dot
> was introduced because I've tried it using a dot without success.   So
> if I've
>
> /etc/krb5.conf
> [libdefaults]
>         default_realm = MY.LOCAL
>         dns_lookup_realm = false
>         dns_lookup_kdc = true
>

> and then i run: kinit administrator at MY.LOCAL
> I get: kinit: Cannot contact any KDC for realm 'MY.LOCAL' while
> getting initial credentials

Is your 'TLD' actually '.local' and if so, try stopping avahi
Is Samba running at this stage ? if it isn't, then your KDC isn't either.

Rowland