[Samba] Please Help!!! smbcontrol close-share

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Sep 8 19:02:39 UTC 2015

Am 08.09.2015 um 20:53 schrieb Carlos R.P.Evertsz:
> I think something is wrong with the command or syntax. For example, I
> open the share folder in a Win workstation(\\server\My_Share) and then
> run the program to close
> that share in the server console. The workstation continues to have
> normal access to that share. Nothing change.
>
>  I think If the command were running correctly the workstation would not
> be able to access the share.

No. Have a look at the smbcontrol manpage.

This command does only close the connection of all clients to the given
share. It doesn't remove the share or take it offline.

You run this command only to close all client connections to a share,
without disturbing other connections. If you would kill the PIDs of
connected processes, you would quit connections to other shares, too,
and clients need to reconnect.

After closing the connections, you can make the share unavailable. See
the link I posted:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-September/164268.html
Run "smbcontrol all reload-config" afterwards, to reload the changes.
Then you share is offline, until you enable it again.

Regards,
Marc